Adding Ventilation

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

alextolle

Mark in Texas asked:

My house is a 2 story and roof is improperly vented. The upstairs room is a cathedral ceiling that extends about 6’ down the front slope and is crammed with batt insulation. There is really no way to add ventilation near the ridge without taking out the insulation. My question is, will a vent work on the front slope if it is 6’ from the ridge row? The slope has a 22’ rafter length. I'm considering a solar power vent, but would prefer turbines. Thank you

July 9, 2024 at 9:08 a.m.

alextolle
Hello Mark,  

Below is what our roofing expert Gary Knighten with Jolly Roofing and Contracting had to say in response to your question:
Pictures would help me, but when I read the above description of the issue I would say if the top ridge line is crammed with insulation then there is probably insulation crammed between each rafter the length of the roof. Also, a power vent will only pull air if it has proper ventilation, this only happens when the roof has soffit vents or gable vents; airflow is generated from powervent as long as air can be pulled/sucked out.
July 9, 2024 at 9:09 a.m.

alextolle
Below is what our roofing expert Andrew Rogers with Progressive Roofing had to say in response to your question:

Alex just going off the little bit of information provided, there’s multiple different options. I would look into gable vents, soffit vents, and potentially ridge vent. The goal is to find the vent that would vent across all studs and provide adequate air flow to vent the space. Typically you’d want a vent to allow air in and then a separate source to allow air out. Soffit vents are typically the best option for the inlet combined with a ridge vent for outlet. Gable vents are great options also. I’ve attached a link to all three types. The power vent the homeowner referenced would only move air in the one cavity between studs. 

Most of the vent manufacturers will provide coverage for each vent in terms of how many square feet is vented per vent. For example one vent for 600sqft. Refer to the manufacturers instructions for the number of vents needed.

Here is a link to a continuous soffit vent example (we are not endorsing this product and know nothing of its reliability, it’s merely an example of a continuous soffit vent application)
Continuous Soffit Ventscanplas.com

Here is an example of a ridge vent (we are not endorsing this product it’s merely an example of a ridge vent).
What is a Ridge Vent and When Is One Usedgaf.com

Here is an example of a gable vent (we are not endorsing this product it’s merely an example of a gable vent).
How to Install Gable Vents in an Attic? - A Guide!vulcanvents.com

July 11, 2024 at 8:24 p.m.

alextolle

Henry Staggs responded:

I am picturing  a completely filled cavity. There would be little to know about air flow through that space. At the very least he might put in a ridge vent and some intake vents under the eave. 

Air could travel freely, but that may also allow for moisture to get in that insulation, VIA vapor drive. Which could be problematic, given that the area is full and air may move slowly or not at all. 

I would ask him why he feels the need to vent it?

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Westlake - Banner Ad - Lasting roofing performance & added protection against severe hail (AAR)

Social Feed

Follow Us
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Roofing Calculator (AAR May 2024)
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)