Exposed Nails on New Roof

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

alextolle

Debi in California asked:

Hello, we had a new roof done in October 2023. We are having some squirrel issues, but my question is, Clark Pest Control came out and went on our roof. They took photos of exposed nails/screws on the roof caps and stated this was wrong. Could you please give me your opinion on this. I have attached a photo. We live in Graeagle, CA and get a lot of rain and snow in the winter. Thank you, Debi

May 16, 2024 at 10:04 a.m.

alextolle
Below is what our roofing expert Marty Stout from Go Roof Tune Up had to say in response to your question:

The exposed Nails/screws on the ridge shingles (roof caps) are installed to help protect the roof from Wind damage. It is often called “pin nailing.” While it is not usually listed in a manufactures specifications without some kind if sealant it is a good idea in high wind-prone areas. Some municipalities recommend it but require they be sealed with caulking some do not.

From the photo provided the installation looks good and I would recommend trusting the roofer that installed the roof to have done this to provide you a long lasting roof. As a side note the installation may keep the squirrels from damaging the ridge shingles.

Marty
May 22, 2024 at 6:06 p.m.

alextolle

Henry Staggs said this in response:

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

DaVinci - Banner Ad - May 2024 Talk to the experts

Social Feed

Follow Us
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Roofing Calculator (AAR May 2024)
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising